These are single-sheet flyers (front and back) that display relevant data on salaries, retirement benefits, job satisfaction, and student loan forgiveness. There are versions designed for prospective teachers and versions for faculty and staff.
On the flip side of each, there is an activity or task that you can use in a workshop. We’ve found it especially helpful if people dig into the data by doing the activity.
The salary data provided is for teachers, other professionals with STEM degrees, and college teaching faculty.
Audience/Setting: Prospective STEM discipline teachers (undergraduate, graduate, alum). Faculty and Staff who may talk with students formally or informally about teaching as a profession. After a Busting Myths About the Teaching Profession or Teaching: The Best Kept Secret! presentations, or during a conversation.
Time: 5 – 15 minutes
Synopsis: These handouts contain the data that is presented in the Busting Myths About the Teaching Profession or Teaching: The Best Kept Secret! presentations. The data specifically addresses the questions that are most commonly asked by students or faculty.
Share these handouts with students or faculty any time you are having a conversation about the teaching profession or have a stack available outside your door or the main office door. Students are enthusiastic to receive these and often use them to share with trusted others while discussing their potential plans to pursue teaching as a career. The faculty versions of the handouts include discussion prompts that work nicely in group conversations or longer Teaching: The Best Kept Secret! workshops. Please check back often to make sure you have the latest version.
Data Handouts for Prospective Teachers
* Version numbers were added in September 2021.
Data Handouts for Faculty and Staff
If interested, update these data handouts with local data:
- The Satisfaction, Loan Forgiveness, and Retirement handout currently has Colorado retirement information. You can find data on your state in this spreadsheet. To learn more about how to use the spreadsheet read How Do Teacher Retirement Plans Work?
- The Teacher salary Compensation handout currently has a random set of districts in the teacher salary table. We recommend inserting local data from our Teacher Salary Data resource. Here you will find an infographic and a slide with a table of salary data that you can insert into this data handout and the Busting Myths About the Teaching Profession or Teaching: The Best Kept Secret! slide decks.
- Don’t forget to add your logo and contact information to both handouts.
- Review how to properly credit GFO when modifying or using these resources
Good to know
- GFO staff find these handouts to be one of their biggest go to resources. PI Adams has been carrying them in her backpack for five years now because you never know when you’ll need them!
- These handouts are a nice way to help guide a conversation with an interested student
- They are a good way to share the facts informally by leaving a pile where students can pick them up.
- Students regularly report using these to talk with their parents or others.