This page contains single page, front and back, flyers that contain salary data for teachers, various STEM degrees, and college teaching faculty. The second handout contains information about teacher well-being, student loan forgiveness for teachers, and teacher retirement benefits.
Audience/Setting: Prospective STEM discipline teachers (undergraduate, graduate, alum). Faculty and Staff who may talk with students formally or informally about teaching as a profession. After a Busting Myths About the Teaching Profession or Teaching: The Best Kept Secret! presentations, or during a conversation.
Time: 5 – 15 minutes
Synopsis: These handouts contain the data that is presented in the Busting Myths About the Teaching Profession or Teaching: The Best Kept Secret! presentations. The data specifically addresses the questions that are most commonly asked by students or faculty.
Share these handouts with students or faculty any time you are having a conversation about the teaching profession or have a stack available outside your door or the main office door. Students are enthusiastic to receive these and often use them to share with trusted others while discussing their potential plans to pursue teaching as a career. The faculty versions of the handouts include discussion prompts that work nicely in group conversations or longer Teaching: The Best Kept Secret! workshops.
Students Data Handouts
* Version numbers were added in September 2021.
Faculty Data Handouts
If interested, update these data handouts with local data:
- The Satisfaction, Loan Forgiveness, and Retirement handout currently has Colorado retirement information. You can find data on your state in this spreadsheet. To learn more about how to use the spreadsheet read How Do Teacher Retirement Plans Work?
- The Teacher salary Compensation handout currently has a random set of districts in the teacher salary table. We recommend inserting local data. GFO research elves will source this data for your area and send you A Teachers Life by The Numbers Infographic along with a table of salary data that you can insert into this data handout and the Busting Myths About the Teaching Profession or Teaching: The Best Kept Secret!
- Don’t forget to add your logo and contact information to both handouts.
Good to know
- GFO staff find these handouts to be one of their biggest go to resources. PI Adams has been carrying them in her backpack for five years now because you never know when you’ll need them!
- These handouts are a nice way to help guide a conversation with an interested student
- They are a good way to share the facts informally by leaving a pile where students can pick them up.
- Students regularly report using these to talk with their parents or others.